Hitchin woman tracked down after lottery prize cheque goes to old address
- Credit: supplied by Isabel Hospice
A Hitchin woman nearly missed out on a lottery windfall – but was tracked down thanks to social media.
Corine Pendry won Isabel Hospice’s bumper lottery prize of £1,000 but her cheque went to the address she had signed up with eight years ago – when she lived in Welwyn.
With no forwarding address, the cheque came back to the hospice with a “return to sender” notice.
The hospice’s social media team sprang into action with tweets and Facebook posts.
Corine, who had since moved to Hitchin, was eventually tracked down by her friend Victoria Wells from Welwyn.
You may also want to watch:
Corine said: “I was at a parents’ evening when I saw a text from my friend telling me about the hospice’s appeal to find me.
“I couldn’t believe they had gone to so much effort to get in touch.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 6 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 7 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 8 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 9 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 10 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
“I’d signed up for the Isabel Hospice lottery in 2010 around the time my dad had died.
“I never really thought about it again until I won £1,000.”
Isabel Hospice runs a weekly lottery with a top prize of £1,000 which is given out every Friday.
The money raised from the lottery goes directly towards helping people with a terminal diagnosis, both in their homes, with the Hospice at Home team, at the In-Patient Unit in Welwyn Garden City and at locations across eastern Hertfordshire, with the Living Well with Isabel sessions including seated Tai Chi, Feel Good Singing and Fatigue and Breathlessness classes.
Corine thanked the team at Isabel Hospice and said: “I’m going to use my windfall for my girls’ weekend away later this year, and treat my girlfriends to a glass of champagne... or two!”
To sign up and be in with the chance of winning £1,000 next Friday, go to www.isabelhospice.org.uk/lottery or call 01707 382594.