Is this David Bowie’s youngest fan? Watch five-year-old boy from Stevenage pay tribute in astronaut outfit by singing Space Oddity – and he’s word perfect
- Credit: Archant
A five-year-old boy from Stevenage has paid his own special tribute to music legend David Bowie by singing every word of Space Oddity in an astronaut outfit – while mimicking his signature moves too.
Young Thomas Seaton has grown up listening to the late singer and won a talent competition at Martins Wood Primary School for his rendition of the song – first released in 1969.
But when news of Bowie’s death from cancer at the age of 69 was announced last week, he donned his astronaut costume to pay his respects while proud parents Carolina and John captured the performance on video at their home in Pin Green.
“We only have to show him something and if he likes it he wants to watch it again and again until he learns it,” said mum Carolina.
“It’s our fault about the music he likes, and he’s been brought up listening to the Rolling Stones, The Beatles and David Bowie, and has seen the film Labyrinth too.
“We’re not pushy parents but he’s a bit of a show-off and loves to perform.
“He had sung Space Oddity before, but when he heard the news he got a bit upset and liked the idea of doing the song as a tribute.”
- 1 New date for Stevenage Marks & Spencer opening
- 2 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 3 Couple sentenced for theft and fraud after stealing from elderly victims
- 4 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 5 Bag a bargain for charity! £1.50 per kilo at air ambulance warehouse sale
- 6 Two boys arrested after police helicopter search
- 7 Seriously injured assault victim waited FOUR hours in ambulance outside Lister
- 8 Graffiti artist's NHS tribute in Stevenage underpass
- 9 Patients required to continue wearing face coverings in healthcare settings
- 10 Driver disqualified after admitting to drinking wine at the wheel
About the talent contest at his school in Mildmay Road, Carolina added: “We had prepared him for a bit of a fall as we didn’t want him to feel disappointed if he didn’t win.
“But since he sung at school we’ve had some of the kids there singing it too and we’ve had one of the mums coming up to ask us about how they can watch the video.
The video, posted online with the tagline ‘Possibly David Bowie’s youngest fan’, and has already had hundreds of views.