Iron man conquers treble triathlon
An athlete swam, cycled and ran 422 miles in less than 60 hours to be one of the few to finish the UK’s first Triple Iron Man race.
Howard Davis from Hitchin was one of only 18 competitors to complete the distance at the Staffordshire race earlier this month, which included a 7.2 mile swim, a 336 mile cycle and a 78.6 mile run. And he did it on less than 5 hours sleep.
“It was an incredible challenge, by far the hardest event I have ever done physically or mentally,” the 47-year-old, who has been doing triathlons and iron man events since 1997, said.
“It was pretty painful. You go through some really high and very low points. There were times I did wonder if I was going to finish at all. But when you get on to the last leg of the run and you know you are going to finish and go through that finish line, it’s a real sense of achievement and it’s a great feeling. It’s up there with some of the best experiences you will have in your life.”
Howard’s efforts, as well as being a personal challenge, also raised over �750 for the Dame Kelly Holmes Legacy Trust which helps disadvantaged children fulfil their potential in life and sport.
You may also want to watch:
And he intends to carry on, albeit on a smaller scale.
“Next year I’m doing Iron Man Lanzarote but I promised my friends, family and myself that I would not do anything like this again. It‘s probably a once in a lifetime thing,” he said.
- 1 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 5 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 8 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 9 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket