Investigation into benefits administration
A FRAUD team is investigating the administration of housing benefits by Stevenage Borough Council. The Benefit Fraud Inspectorate will examine authorities which are taking longer than average to process claims. Stevenage s executive councillor for resour
A FRAUD team is investigating the administration of housing benefits by Stevenage Borough Council.
The Benefit Fraud Inspectorate will examine authorities which are taking longer than average to process claims.
Stevenage's executive councillor for resources Sharon Taylor said: "We have no objection to an inspection from the Department for Work and Pensions, however to claim that Stevenage's housing benefit performance is under-performing is simply untrue.
"In fact, over the last three months, our performance is amongst the best.
You may also want to watch:
"We regret the dip in performance following the implementation of the new IT system, however our staff have worked hard to turn this around and there have been significant improvements in the last six months alone.
"We expect to continue improving this year as more processes are streamlined.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 A505 driver escapes without serious injury after head-on crash
- 3 Arrest made and 350 cannabis plants seized after raid in Letchworth
- 4 Council criticised for 'shoddy' underpass paint job
- 5 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 6 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 7 Glimpses of the past: Exploring Hitchin from 1910 - 1950
- 8 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 9 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 10 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5