INTERVIEW: Graham Westley praises players as club closes in on play-off places
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage boss was speaking after Boro defeated Newport County today
Graham Westley has praised his squad’s quality after another win in their hunt for a play-off place.
Stevenage beat Newport County 2-1 today with goals from Charlie Lee and Bira Dembele to leapfrog their opponents and move to within one place of the top seven.
They did so without the injured Chris Whelpdale, Roarie Deacon and Dave Martin, but Westley praised those players, and in particular left-back Jerome Okimo, who stepped up to the mark when called upon.
“You know I don’t single players out but under the circumstances [Okimo] has barely been back in training,” Westley told the club’s Youtube channel.
You may also want to watch:
“He had to come in as Roarie got injured. He was outstanding. To get through the game says everything about how he’s worked since he’s been out; real good quality at left-back. He was a very big player for us today.
“We’ve picked up more knocks. [Chris] Beardsley went down, Simon Walton’s in there with a knock, Dean Parrett was forced off.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 7 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 8 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 9 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 10 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
“The knocks keep coming but lads keep stepping up to the plate. That’s what you can say about the squad.
“We are suffering, we are struggling for numbers but as a group whoever comes in they seem to be able to produce enough to win football matches which is a credit to them”