INTERVIEW: Dazzling start against Mansfield can be a template for us, says Whelpdale
- Credit: Archant
ALSO, vote for your Boro Man of the Match
Chris Whelpdale says Boro’s dazzling start in their win over Mansfield Town should be the template for the club in future games.
The winger scored for Boro in just the third minute against the Stags after his initial shot was saved by Town keeper Dimitar Evtimov, and was followed two minutes later by team-mate Charlie Lee’s strike.
The former Gillingham man then added his second of the match late in the game to make it 3-0 after Roarie Deacon had set him up, and is now Stevenage’s top scorer with four goals so far this campaign.
Speaking afterwards, Whelpdale said: “It was a great start for us. We put in a solid performance. I think we’ve got to learn from that and start games better, and get the goals early on. It’s a really great three points.
“I saw the ball floating around. I should have scored the first shot if I’m being honest, but I’ve managed to poke it from underneath him and put it in the back of the net.
“It was a great start, and then a great finish for [Charlie Lee]. We opened them up really well in the first 10 minutes.
- 1 Driver arrested as Audi crashes into parked vehicles in Hitchin
- 2 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 3 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 4 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 5 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 6 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 7 Mental health crisis café to open in Stevenage
- 8 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 9 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
- 10 Award-winning Hitchin nursery celebrates bumper year for staff
“Maybe we made it a bit hard for ourselves after that and maybe dropped off a little bit, but we got the three points which is the most important thing.”
After targeting double figures of goals this season, Whelpdale maybe now tweak that figure slightly.
“I’m well on target for it, so maybe if I hit that target then I can go on and make new targets so I’m looking forward to that,” he added.