International women’s cycling tour to visit Comet country
- Credit: Archant
The first ever women’s international cycling tour will pass through Comet country in May.
The tour will take place over five stages between Wednesday May 7 and Sunday May 11 and is expected to pass through Baldock and Letchworth GC town centres.
The new elite cycle race, which is the country’s first ever international women’s stage-race, will bring the world’s top riders to compete against Britain’s Olympic heroines.
Double Olympic gold medallist Laura Trott, who is competing for of the Wiggle Honda team in the race, said: “Having a UCI Women’s Tour in the UK is brilliant, but to have a stage starting in my home town of Cheshunt and then finishing in Welwyn Garden City where I started my cycling racing makes it even better. I think this will be a very special day for me, I just hope the other girls let me win!”
Cllr Lynda Needham, Leader of North Herts District Council said “We’re excited that The Women’s Tour will be passing through North Herts. I hope that everyone will come out to support the cyclists and that the event will inspire our local residents to get out and about on their bikes.”
You may also want to watch:
Commenting on the announcement, Guy Elliott, of organisers SweetSpot Group, said, “We are very pleased to be able to announce the locations for The Women’s Tour and are delighted by the support we have received.
“With both Laura and Emma Trott from Hertfordshire, I am sure Stage Four will be extra special and draw out large crowds to cheer them on.”
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 3 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 4 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 5 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 6 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket