Inspirational Stevenage dad with severe stutter interviews 20 entrepreneurs for first book
- Credit: Archant
A man who has struggled with a severe stutter for almost 40 years has faced his demons and interviewed 20 entrepreneurs to write a book aimed at inspiring people to break free of their self-imposed limitations and live life to the full.
Rama Siva, who lives in Stevenage, first began stuttering when he was three years old.
He said: “Unfortunately I had a belief that by having the habit I would have the attention of my mother and I subconsciously kept hold of it.
“My speech really held me back and it’s taken me a lot of effort to get where I am.
“If you had called me a few years ago I wouldn’t have answered the phone.”
You may also want to watch:
But Rama was determined to tackle his debilitating speech impediment and he enrolled on a speech improvement course which pop singer Gareth Gates had successfully used to help control his own stutter.
Rama, 41, said: “It gave me the confidence I needed to realise I can speak.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 7 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 8 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 9 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 10 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
“A lot of people who stutter wouldn’t even think about becoming a speaker or a writer. I really had that desire inside me, but didn’t know how to make that happen. During the course I learned how one thought creates one reality.”
Rama decided to write a book. He set about interviewing 20 entrepreneurs, including Gary McEwen – the founder of Stevenage-based Trust A Trader – and Allon Khakshouri, who has managed the careers of tennis players including Novak Djokovic.
Using the insights of these millionaires and incorporating his own personal story, Rama has written a book called Rich Thinking – which he says provides the blueprint for living your dream life.
Rama, who has a 10-month-old son, said: “My goal is to inspire people to live a happy life. My stutter caused me to be introverted and not express my true self. Now I feel I have no limits.
“I want to share what I have learned with other people who have speech impediments. It’s actually a book for anyone who has limited belief in themselves and how they can transform their lives.”
Rich Thinking is self-published and available on Amazon for £15.99.