Inspirational Arsenal and England legend pays visit to Hitchin school
- Credit: Archant
A former Arsenal and England playing legend visited a Hitchin school to inspire its pupils.
Arsenal Ladies star Rachel Yankey who has played for the North London giants for more than a decade in two spells, paid a trip to the Priory School, Bedford Road, this month to present trophies at the school’s sports awards.
Yankey, who won 129 caps for England, was a 2012 London Olympian, and clinched an incredible seven Women’s National Premier League titles during her star-studded career, was praised by the school for her visit.
PE teacher Sally Emler said: “We feel incredibly lucky to have had Rachel at our sports awards.
“Our students work so hard during training and at school, it has been great for them to have meet someone who has achieved to such a high level.
You may also want to watch:
“Rachel really has inspired a generation “
Rachel also gave a key note motivational speech and handed out various awards before giving up her time at the end to have photographs taken with the pupils.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Two jailed for conspiracy to supply cocaine
Year 13, Errin Davie, an A level PE student at the school was one of the delighted teens who met her. She added: “It was an absolute honour to meet an England legend at The Priory School Sports Awards”.
Rachel also caught up with former Arsenal teammate Jo Churchman, who works in the PE department at the school.