Inspirational Arsenal and England legend pays visit to Hitchin school
- Credit: Archant
A former Arsenal and England playing legend visited a Hitchin school to inspire its pupils.
Arsenal Ladies star Rachel Yankey who has played for the North London giants for more than a decade in two spells, paid a trip to the Priory School, Bedford Road, this month to present trophies at the school’s sports awards.
Yankey, who won 129 caps for England, was a 2012 London Olympian, and clinched an incredible seven Women’s National Premier League titles during her star-studded career, was praised by the school for her visit.
PE teacher Sally Emler said: “We feel incredibly lucky to have had Rachel at our sports awards.
“Our students work so hard during training and at school, it has been great for them to have meet someone who has achieved to such a high level.
You may also want to watch:
“Rachel really has inspired a generation “
Rachel also gave a key note motivational speech and handed out various awards before giving up her time at the end to have photographs taken with the pupils.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of harassment after Stevenage and Preston incidents
- 2 What can I do and what opens when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday, April 12?
- 3 Who is Slove? Spate of Stevenage graffiti prompts police appeal
- 4 Pictured: The first pints, haircuts, swims and more as lockdown restrictions ease
- 5 Inside the breathtaking £2.6million historic house that has its own 'party barn'
- 6 Have you seen missing man from Stevenage?
- 7 Stevenage's play areas set to reopen for first time in months
- 8 Former Hitchin and Stevenage MP Shirley Williams dies aged 90
- 9 Drive-in cinema arriving at London Luton Airport
- 10 Have you seen wanted Stevenage man?
Year 13, Errin Davie, an A level PE student at the school was one of the delighted teens who met her. She added: “It was an absolute honour to meet an England legend at The Priory School Sports Awards”.
Rachel also caught up with former Arsenal teammate Jo Churchman, who works in the PE department at the school.