In the stocks! Hitchin MP Bim Afolami proves to be a good sport at scouts’ charity event
- Credit: Archant
Hitchin MP Bim Afolami proved to be a good sport this week when he joined in the fun at a scouting event in the centre of the town.
Bim, 31 – who promised to be a visible presence in his constituency should he be elected – proved true to his word by backing the thriving scouting movement.
As hundreds of young people gathered in Hitchin town centre at the weekend in a tremendous show of support for the scouting movement in North Herts, the town’s new MP proved game for a laugh by agreeing to go in the stocks for a pelting with wet sponges from the crowd.
Good-natured Bim told the Comet: “I spent much of Saturday at the Hitchin Festival.
“I also spoke to our wonderful scout volunteers where they put on a huge variety of activities.
You may also want to watch:
“I even had a go at the sumo wrestling and was put in the stocks – where there was no shortage of people wanting to pelt wet sponges at their MP!”
By joining in the fun, father-of-two Bim also helped raise money for explorer scout expeditions.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 4 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
Sam Hankin from Hitchin Scouts said: “Thank you to St Mary’s for the use of their grounds and their support, and the National Lottery for a grant that helped us host the event.
“Thank you also to all the volunteer scout leaders and parents who gave up their Saturday to ensure the event was a success.
“A lot of time and effort went into running the event and keeping all the activities free so all the young people of Hitchin could come along and have a go.
“Thanks also to our MP, who proved to be a good sport – Bim Afolami.”
For more on the fun see facebook.com/hitchinscouts or www.hitchinscouts.org/volunteering.
For more on the Hitchin Festival visit hitchinherts.com.