Improvement work in Letchworth town centre set to go ahead
INTERIM improvements to a town centre are set to go ahead while a long-term redevelopment of the area remains on hold.
Letchworth Garden City Heritage Foundation have submitted proposals to North Herts District Council (NHDC) for Letchworth GC’s The Wynd which would see the area refurbished and repainted, a pirate ship playground and sensory garden built, as well as a part of The Gallery converted into a covered market, auction house and public toilets.
The extended car-park will have newly planted hedging and the wall around the area will be decorated with a mural prepared by a professional artist, working with pupils from Hillshott School.
Buildings between 11-15 The Wynd will be demolished if the project gets the go-ahead.
The interim plans, expected to cost �300,000, aim to “maintain” The Wynd while its long-term redevelopment is established, which is expected to take the next five years.
“These new plans allow us to improve The Wynd quickly and bring something fresh to the area,” said John Lewis, the Heritage Foundation’s chief executive.
“They are designed to maintain The Wynd for the next five years, this is likely to be the length of time it will take to establish long-term viable plans, which will complete the revitalisation of Letchworth town centre.”
- 1 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 2 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 3 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 4 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 5 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 6 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 7 Permanent parking loss if outdoor seating plans approved
- 8 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 9 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 10 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
Letchworth Cllr Gary Grindal said: “I’m very very disappointed. Letchworth area committee were part of the whole process of the redevelopment of the town centre which we all bought into. Following a highly successful application the first part of it has come to a halt. While I understand the current financial restraints, The Wynd desperately needs redeveloping as part of the town centre.
“Letchworth residents will be aware of a number of revamps during the last 10 to 15 years that I don’t think have done much to improve the area and this is the same. It needs to be completely redeveloped and to be opened out into the main shopping area so people know it’s there.”
To share your views and ideas on the long-term future of The Wynd and the rest of the town centre, or sign up for forthcoming consultation workshops, visit www.thenextsteps.co.uk