Illegal worker found after raid on Letchworth takeaway
AN INDIAN takeaway employee was found to be working illegally following a raid on Tuesday.
Officers from the UK Border Agency raided the Indian Royal in Arena Parade, Letchworth GC, where checks found a male member of staff, from Bangladesh, was a failed asylum seeker.
The 30-year-old has been released on immigration bail while work is carried out on his case, and the business could face a potential fine of up to �10,000 for employing an illegal worker.
To avoid a fine, Indian Royal must provide evidence that the correct right-to-work checks were made, such as seeing a passport or Home Office document, before the man was employed.
Immigration officer Lorna Williams, from the Local Immigration Team for Essex and Hertfordshire, said: “I hope operations like this send out a message to employers who would consider breaking the rules.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re happy to work with firms to help them understand what checks they need to do on staff, but those who break the law can be hit with heavy fines.
“Our officers carry out many operations like this every year in Hertfordshire and where we find people who are in the UK illegally we will seek to remove them.”
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 4 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 7 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 8 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 9 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 10 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
Anyone who has information on suspected immigration offenders can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.