Illegal tobacco and vodka seized from Stevenage shop
- Credit: Archant
Illegal tobacco and vodka has been seized from a shop by a council’s trading standards officers.
Officers from Herts County Council carried out the search, using detection dogs, on a shop in Stevenage, which cannot be named as investigations are ongoing, on Monday.
Most of the tobacco seized did not display the required health warnings and the duty had not been paid on the vodka.
The searches were part of a county wide imitative that saw £6,400 worth of tobacco seized from nine premises in the county along with approximately £35,000 in cash from a safe from one shop.
Richard Thake, cabinet member for Community Safety, said: “It is extremely disappointing that shopkeepers think they can get away with selling mis-labelled products and not paying duty on goods.
You may also want to watch:
“Those involved in dealing in illegal tobacco may be encouraging people, including children, to smoke by providing a cheap source.
“This operation should send out a clear warning to shopkeepers that we will take action to stop illicit trading of this nature. Any business owners who are unclear about the law regarding tobacco sales should contact us for advice.”
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 6 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 7 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 8 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
Members of the public can report shops which they believe are trading illegally to the Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 08454 04 05 06. Businesses needing advice should contact Hertfordshire Trading Standards’ business advice line on 01707 292429.