‘If it had been a boxing match, the judges would have stopped it in our favour’, says Butcher
- Credit: Archant
Newport boss on his side’s draw with Stevenage following Mark Hughes’ late equaliser
Terry Butcher says had Saturday’s game against Stevenage been a boxing match, the judges would have stopped it in the second half in his side’s favour.
The Newport County boss, like Teddy Sheringham a former England international, saw his side trail 1-0 at half-time in Saturday’s League Two clash before coming back to lead 2-1 in the second period. However, Boro’s Mark Hughes then headed home a late equaliser for the visitors.
Speaking about the game, Butcher said: “I was impressed with Stevenage in the first half. They set up very well, and made things difficult for us. They tried to play football, and their pace and passing worried us.
“I had a word with my young team during the break and I got the response I wanted. To turn it around from 1-0 down to 2-1 up was very satisfying and if it was a boxing match the judges would have stopped it in our favour.
You may also want to watch:
“The way the team played in the second half was one of the best halves of football I’ve ever seen from any team I’ve managed, so to concede a late equaliser was disappointing, but all credit to Stevenage for keeping going right to the end.”
Butcher added: “Teddy Sheringham will do well for Stevenage. He’s a good football man and has got them playing good football.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Two jailed for conspiracy to supply cocaine
“You have to admire Teddy’s team. They played very well in the first half and showed great character in the second half. I have friends in Stevenage and I’m looking forward to the return game.”