Ideas wanted for four-tonne tree trunk sculpture at Lister
IDEAS are being sought on how to turn a four-tonne oak tree trunk into a work of art to mark the transformation of Lister in Stevenage into the main acute hospital for east and north Hertfordshire. The oak tree in Lister s main public car park was felled
IDEAS are being sought on how to turn a four-tonne oak tree trunk into a work of art to mark the transformation of Lister in Stevenage into the main acute hospital for east and north Hertfordshire.
The oak tree in Lister's main public car park was felled recently to make way for a new multi-storey car park which will be built in spring 2010.
Measuring nearly 10 metres by 1.2 metres across its widest part, it is hoped the trunk can be turned into an outdoor sculpture and located in a new green plaza next to the hospital's main entrance.
The Trust's chief executive, Nick Carver, said: "While we were all sad to see this tree cut down, we want to use its considerable trunk to create a sculpture that reflects the amount of change Lister is going through at the moment.
You may also want to watch:
"The hospital has very much been at the heart of the local community for much of the last 50 years and is now set to become the main hospital for everyone living and working in east and north Hertfordshire.
"We would like the redeveloped hospital, therefore, to have a strong visual link with its past - which this sculpture has the potential to do."
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 8 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
Anyone interested in submitting a proposal can send their design, with an estimated cost, to: Tree Trunk Sculpture Competition, Lister Hospital (L69), Coreys Mill Lane, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG1 4AB.
Ideas must be received by December 31.
Visits to see the tree trunk in its current location can be arranged by calling the Trust's facilities team on 01438 781051.