‘I was too big to have a baby’ - Teacher from Sandy tells how her chances of having children were almost wrecked by her weight
- Credit: Archant
A woman from Sandy who was told she could not have IVF treatment until she lost weight has shed the pounds so she can have a chance of a family.
Anna Heeley, 29, had also started hiding away her wedding photographs because she was so ashamed of her weight after consultants told her they could not offer her fertility treatment.
It was only when Anna joined a Weight Watchers programme near her home that her hope of one day having children was restored.
Teacher Anna weighed more than 16 stone (102kg) when she was told she could not have the treatment, and she knew she would have to work hard should she want a family in the future.
She said: “When originally denied fertility treatment, it was really upsetting – and when we learnt that I also had polycystic ovaries, it was frustrating as these can slow down weight loss.
You may also want to watch:
“I felt like the journey ahead was huge and I felt overwhelmed at what I had to do.
“I hated looking at my wedding photos and began to take them down from the shelves. No-one in my family or circle of friends is overweight, so I stood out.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 4 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 7 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 8 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 9 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 10 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
“Feeling self-conscious, I knew I had to do something about my weight for both my confidence and my health.”
Anna’s polycystic ovaries which made losing weight a slow process, but she persevered.
She said: “I look forward to my Weight Watchers meeting all week, and when I think back to what my life used to be like, it feels surreal.
“I’m so much happier and healthier now. My confidence is growing and soon I’ll be able to enjoy clothes shopping like all my friends. I am knowledgeable about foods and what they give my body.
“We have an appointment in July to go back to the fertility clinic now I’ve lost weight – and I am 18lbs away from my goal, which we’re really excited about.”
Anna is continuing to attend her Weight Watchers meetings as she says they provide structure for her weight loss, witrh the motivation of fellow members helping to keep her on track.
There are various meetings across Bedfordshire. For more see weightwatchers.co.uk.