‘I’ve barely slept’ – Stevenage taxi firm owner oversees security overhaul in wake of early morning raid when 67-year-old employee grabbed by robber
- Credit: Archant
The owner of a Stevenage taxi firm which was targeted by robbers in the early hours of Tuesday morning has said security has been overhauled in the wake of the raid.
A 67-year-old man was working by himself at Gold Star Taxis’ base in Wedgwood Gate when two men broke into the locked office at about 1am.
The member of staff was grabbed by one of the men and restrained while the other stole a large amount of cash belonging to drivers which had been kept in a locked office.
Gold Star Taxis owner Nader Seifi told the Comet that police are reviewing CCTV footage of the robbery, but he has already taken steps to make the office more secure with security in place 24 hours a day.
He said: “The gentleman working was really shaken by the incident and has taken some time off. Everyone here has been affected by it.
You may also want to watch:
“The office has been here for 25 years and we’ve never had a problem, so it’s a real shock.
“I’ve barely slept as I have been improving the security and coming to the office at night to check everything is alright.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 4 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 7 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 8 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 9 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 10 Nobel School celebrates 60 years
“All our security has been completely change – no money is kept in the office now and we have even more CCTV cameras.”