‘I took action while I was there’ – Two arrested and charged with shoplifting at Letchworth Lidl after off-duty Stevenage police officer intervenes
- Credit: Archant
An off-duty police officer shopping in a Letchworth supermarket swooped to arrest two suspected shoplifters on Tuesday, helped by members of the public.
Det Sgt Mim Law, part of the case investigation team at Stevenage, was shopping at Lidl in Jubilee Road when she spotted two men who she thought were acting suspiciously.
She detained one of them and called out to passers-by to stop the other man, which they did. Two other off-duty officers who were shopping in the store assisted until on-duty police arrived.
“I’d like to thank the members of the public who assisted in making these arrests,” said Det Sgt Law.
“I believed the men were acting suspiciously, so decided to take action while I was there and it was great that members of the public were able to help me until further assistance arrived.”
You may also want to watch:
Stephen Cox, 48, of Wilshere Crescent in Hitchin, and 47-year-old Colin Hemmings, of Grimstone Road in Little Wymondley, were both charged and on Wednesday appeared at Hatfield Remand Court, where they were remanded into custody.
The pair are set to appear before St Albans magistrates on Wednesday, September 14.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 8 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 9 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 10 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash