‘I thought they were going to ram the police car too’ – Thieves use digger to smash into cash machine in Stotfold ram raid
- Credit: Birds Eye Studios www.birdseyestudios.co.uk
Thieves in balaclavas used a digger as a battering ram in a midnight raid in Stotfold – before racing off in a high-powered Audi.
The thieves used the digger to smash through the wall around a Barclays bank cash machine in Regent Street, then loaded it onto a pick-up truck.
The offenders fled the scene when police arrived, leaving the digger behind. The cash machine, which was only loaded onto the pick-up truck halfway, was recovered by the police early this morning.
“It was literally on my doorstep,” said John McBurney, 42, who lives in Regent Street.
“I live about 40 metres down the road. I’d had a late night and was about to go to bed at about 1.40am this morning when I heard my wife talking to the police.
You may also want to watch:
“I looked out our bedroom window and witnessed the whole thing taking place.
“I could see them throwing missiles at the police car, a criminal gang wearing balaclavas, a blue getaway car, a grey pick-up truck to take the cash machine and a massive dumper truck or crane vehicle to smash through the wall!
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 4 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 5 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 9 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
“The police tried to block their exit and that started them throwing the missiles.
“The police car went about 50 metres down the road, then the high-powered getaway car followed and hurtled down Regent Street.
“Then shortly after that the pick-up truck sped off. The cash machine was hanging off the back and as it went past our house there were massive yellow sparks – you can imagine the noise – and it almost toppled over going past Beale’s butchers.
“I thought they were going to ram the stationary police car too. Debris was falling off all over the road.
“It was quite scary for my wife.
“Then it all went quiet and some more police came, and I went out and took some photos – I started a photography business about March last year, but we usually film from the air.
“I was so shaken I just couldn’t think straight and it was hard to keep my composure while taking the pictures.”
A police spokesman said: “We were called at around 1.30am to reports of a ram raid at Barclays bank in Regent Street, Stotfold.
“Officers attended the scene and the offenders fled in a blue Audi.
“A pick up truck used in the raid was left at the scene. The cash machine was recovered.”
Anyone with any information is asked to call the police on the non-emergency number 101.
All photographs courtesy of Birds Eye Studios.