‘I saw Alzheimer’s destroy him’ – Letchworth fundraiser to honour grandfather with London-to-Brighton run for Alzheimer’s Society
- Credit: Archant
A Letchworth business owner is to run from London to Brighton in aid of the Alzheimer’s Society – and she’s holding a quiz night this weekend to raise money.
Charlie Poynter, who manages and plays for Offley and Stopsley Women’s FC, is taking on the challenge in memory of her grandfather, who lived in Letchworth most of his life and taught her to play golf at Letchworth Golf Club.
She is now undertaking a Master’s degree, researching how golf affects dementia patients and carers – and is set to take on the 63-mile (100km) challenge alongside Laura Simpson on May 27 and 28.
Charlie said: “I saw Alzheimer’s destroy my grandfather, and through my research I hope to ease the destruction of the disease.
“I would love for any donations to help the society in all that they do. It’s devastating to watch a loved one not recognise you or forget all the good times you spent with them.
You may also want to watch:
“If this money could help find a cure or make life easier for a sufferer or their carer, then that’s a little more motivation for me.”
Charlie’s fundraising quiz is from 7pm on Friday at Offley Recreation Centre in King’s Walden Road.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
The prices are £10 per team – up to six people each. There will be a raffle, with prize donations welcomed.
You can also support Charlie’s fundraising at justgiving.com/Charlie-poynter.