I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here! contestant to perform at Stevenage Guide Dogs curry night
- Credit: Archant
A former MP and I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here! contestant will be performing a stand-up routine to raise money for a charity which supports the blind.
Lembit Opik will be at Spice Rouge in Stevenage High Street on Tuesday as part of a curry night in aid of the Stevenage and district fundraising branch of Guide Dogs.
The former Liberal Democrat MP, who appeared on the ITV reality show after losing his seat in the 2010 General Election, is being joined by Del Strain, once described as George Galloway’s “favourite Scottish comedian”.
The fundraiser, which starts at 7pm, also includes a quiz hosted by radio and TV presenter Ian Collins, an auction, raffle and a spice eating contest.
Last year’s event raised almost £2,500 for Guide Dogs, which fund the training of dogs that make up about 5,000 working guide dog partnerships in the UK. Each dog costs an estimated £50,000 to train and support through their lifetime.
You may also want to watch:
Sean Dilley, Stevenage and district fundraising branch chairman for Guide Dogs, said: “Last year’s event raised nearly £2,500 for Guide Dogs which was a fantastic outcome from an amazing night. This year we’re building on this success with the inclusion of live comedy from I’m a Celeb contestant Lembit Opik and award-winning comic Del Strain.
“Demand is high but there are still places left so we are appealing to people to join us on the night and for any businesses who would like to make a donation or sponsor the night in exchange for a mention and literature at the event.”
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 3 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 4 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 5 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 6 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 7 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 8 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 9 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 10 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
Mr Opik added: “Guide Dogs is an amazing charity and it’s an honour to be invited to attend and perform comedy on the night. If I’m honest, it was a no brainier – curry, comedy, raffle, auction and a quiz. I can’t wait.”
Tickets for the curry night, which includes a welcome drink, starter, main course and entertainment, are still available and cost £20.
Call Sean Dilley on 07977 411797 or tweet @guidedogsSG1 to book or for more information about business sponsorship.