‘I Love Hitchin’ bag launched to back school’s clock tower campaign
- Credit: Archant
Here comes the ‘must-have’ accessory for any self-respecting Hitchin household – an exclusive ‘I Love Hitchin’ bag.
The bag is the brilliant brainchild of a Hitchin mum to help raise funds for a good cause – the renovation of an iconic clock tower at Wilshere Dacre Junior Academy.
Faye Silver, whose eight-year-old daughter Mia is a pupil at the Fishponds Road school, told the Comet: “Many people in Hitchin have attended Wilshere Dacre over the years and know of the clock tower.
“Unfortunately it’s in need of some tender loving care as it’s looking quite dilapidated and doesn’t work properly.
“There’s a real community spirit in Hitchin, people care about the town, and the response we’ve had so far with the bag has been phenomenal.
You may also want to watch:
“It looks really stylish. There’s only been 1,000 made and they’re flying off the shelves already.
“Most of our sponsors will be selling the bag on our behalf. It’s definitely Hitchin’s ‘must-have’ item this year!
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 4 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 8 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 9 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
“My sister did something similar to raise funds in her area, and I just thought it was a good fundraising idea.
“I have to say thanks to town centre manager Keith Hoskins, all the businesses who have helped with sponsoring it, and my employers Raymond James.
“We also want people to send us their holiday snaps of them with the bag. If you’re off to Paris or Ayers Rock on your travels, or anywhere else, we’d love you to tweet us pictures holding our ‘I Love Hitchin’ bag in unusual places.”
Wilshere Dacre head Sarah Smith said: “The bag is a fantastic idea. Our clock tower is in need of repair, and it’s a great way to raise funds.
“On behalf of all at the school I’d like to say a huge thank you to Faye, who is chair of our PTA, for all her hard work.
“Thanks also to Keith Hoskins for his help, and all the businesses who have supported it, as well as the Comet.
“Hopefully we’ll see a lot of these bags around, and the school and the town will get a fully restored clock tower.”
Mr Hoskins said: “It’s a great idea. They’ll be on sale in many shops and businesses around town and our office, too. I’m definitely going to buy one.”
Faye’s daughter Mia added: “I’m so proud of my mum for doing this. She’s great. I think the bags are really cool.”
Bags cost £5 from various outlets in Hitchin.
Follow @HitchinBag and tweet your snaps of you and the bag.