‘I expect some difficulties but I’m prepared to overcome them’ – Stevenage teenager goes on mission trip to Africa
- Credit: Archant
While most 17-year-olds are busy updating their Facebook status, a young man from Stevenage has been raising money for his own plane ticket to Africa to help disadvantaged children.
Connor Skelsey flew out yesterday alongside volunteers from Kadoma Kidz – including founders Stacy and Phil Gibb who work to help needy children in Stevenage’s twin town.
Stacy said: “We have known Connor a long time, and he has been helping us out with the charity and fundraising for about a year, but when he said he wanted to come with us we didn’t know if he was serious.”
“Then he set up a donations page and started raising money for his own flight and funds, we are very proud of him.”
Before he left, North Hertfordshire College student Connor said he was looking forward to getting out there but admitted it may be a challenge for him to adjust to his new surroundings.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s hard to say how I will get on, I’ve never been there before so I expect some difficulties but I’m prepared to overcome them,” said Connor.
“I’m obsessed with with my phone! But we will be living like locals and you’ve got to embrace the culture. It is a big commitment but I did say I wanted to meet the people we help – and working with Stacy and Phil has improved my behaviour and given me a focus.”
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 9 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 10 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
Connor’s mum Hazel Hardy,39, along with his friends on his travel and tourism course and the dinner ladies at college have all been a big support.
Connor has raised nearly £600 for his flight and funds on his donations page which can be found at gofundme.com and searching for ‘Connor Skelsey.’