Hunt for sex offender
A young girl fled in terror after a man grabbed her in broad daylight on a village street. The girl, aged 11, was walking close to All Saints Lower School near her home in Clifton on Saturday lunchtime when the mystery man grabbed her from behind and atte
A young girl fled in terror after a man grabbed her in broad daylight on a village street.
The girl, aged 11, was walking close to All Saints Lower School near her home in Clifton on Saturday lunchtime when the mystery man grabbed her from behind and attempted to kiss her.
Police say the girl ran to a nearby shop for help and raised the alarm.
Within minutes several police officers attended the incident and a search was made of the centre of the village but there was no sign of the man.
You may also want to watch:
The attacker is described as of Asian appearance, 5ft 4ins tall, aged between 18 and 25, wearing a brown leather jacket, blue jeans and trainers.
"She managed to struggle and free herself from her attacker and ran off into a nearby shop for help. We are treating this as a sexual assault," said a police spokesman.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 3 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 4 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 9 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 10 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
Police say the attacker left the area on foot and they are now appealing to anyone who was in the area around 12.20pm to contact them immediately.
"Somebody might have seen this man running in the area at the time of the attack which might help us track him down," added the police spokesman.
Police say they are not linking the assault with an incident the previous Sunday in woods near Chicksands where a man, also wearing a brown leather jacket, tried to knock a young girl from a horse with a branch.
Anyone with information should contact the investigating officer Pc Paul Roach on 01234 841212 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.