Hundreds Walk in Support of Macmillan
MORE than 200 people took part in a sponsored walked on Sunday, to raise money for The Comet s Charity of the Year – Macmillan Cancer Support. It is hoped the annual event, which took place at Fairlands Valley Park in Stevenage, will have raised more than
MORE than 200 people took part in a sponsored walked on Sunday, to raise money for The Comet's Charity of the Year - Macmillan Cancer Support.
It is hoped the annual event, which took place at Fairlands Valley Park in Stevenage, will have raised more than �12,000 for the charity.
Participant Jackie Scales said: "I took part as a group of over 50 people. We did it last year and will continue to do it for as long as we can. We all get together in the memory of someone close to us and to help make a difference to other people's lives. We all had such a wonderful time."
Carla Poole, Macmillan's fundraising manager, said: "Sunday was such a successful day - everyone really enjoyed themselves and raised lots of money for Macmillan.
"We would like to say a very big thank you to everybody who walked, all the volunteers we had on the day, Stevenage mayor Mick Patston and MP for Stevenage, Barbara Follett, for starting the walk and for encouraging her team to take part."
Activities throughout the afternoon included a live performance from The Boogie Woogie Boy, as well as face painting and games for all the family.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 3 New opening date for Stevenage Geek Retreat
- 4 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 5 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
- 6 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 7 A505 driver left with serious injuries after car leaves road near Hitchin
- 8 Letchworth Outdoor Pool suffers two break-ins ahead of opening
- 9 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 10 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
Participants are asked to submit their sponsorship money before June 30 to be entered into a free prize draw.
For other ways to get involved with Macmillan, call the Hertfordshire fundraising team on 01438 712012.