Hundreds sign petition attacking parking charges in Stevenage
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of people signed a petition calling for introduction of free parking in Stevenage town centre.
The petition, started by Stevenage MP Stephen McPartland, calls for the introduction of three hours free parking in the town centre.
Stevenage Borough Council currently generates £3 million a year from car parking charges which Mr McPartland claims is damaging the town’s economy.
He said: “I am calling on Stevenage Borough Council to apologise and move forward by introducing three hours free parking so more people can afford to shop locally. Stevenage is doing really well and we can get a refurbished town centre if Stevenage Borough Council stops ripping off local people. Please sign the petition and help us regenerate our town centre.”
The council say they have to save £3 million from their budget in the next three years and the charges generate valuable funds.
You may also want to watch:
To sign the petition visit www.stephen-mcpartland.com/parkingcampaign.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 5 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 6 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 7 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 8 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 9 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 10 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery