Hundreds sign Hitchin NHS cuts petition
- Credit: Archant
A demonstration against NHS cuts gained hundreds of supporters in Hitchin town centre at the weekend.
Some 540 people signed a petition presented by the North Herts division of the People’s Assembly Against Austerity, which rallied in Market Place on Saturday.
The petition reads: “Our NHS was created out of the ideal that good healthcare should be available to all, regardless of wealth. It is what makes our country great. We, the undersigned, cannot standby and allow the erosion of our treasured Lister Hospital and NHS.
“We cannot stand by as people die on hospital trolleys, safety is compromised and seriously unwell people have vital operations cancelled.
“We urge all political parties and health bodies to work together to protect our beloved NHS today and for the future.”
You may also want to watch:
The demonstration comes ahead of a national day of action on February 3, centred around a London march.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 6 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 7 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed