Bank branches targeted by Extinction Rebellion protesters
- Credit: XR North Herts
Extinction Rebellion protesters created "climate crime scenes" at bank branches in Hitchin and Letchworth as part of their latest action last weekend.
Pictures were shared online of paper butterflies, climate crime scene police tape and other stickers that were placed on the front doors and cash points near HSBC in Letchworth's Station Road and Barclays in High Street, Hitchin.
XR Rebellion North Herts shared the pictures online, and accused Barclays and HSBC of funding "ecological destruction".
The decision to target banks was part of a nationally co-ordinated effort, as branches in Somerset, Greater Manchester, Nottinghamshire and Wales shared a similar fate.
A spokeswoman for the North Hertfordshire group said: "The butterflies at Barclays installation were intended to illustrate the fragility of our ecosystems in the face of human activities - destructive activities which many of our banks have continued to fund even since the Paris Climate Agreement in 2016.
You may also want to watch:
"Banks like Barclays and HSBC are using our money to fund ecological destruction - how happy are their customers about this? How do bank employees feel about the banks’ activities? How green are our banks?
"People are only now beginning to realise how much we depend on nature for our survival. Climate and biodiversity are completely interdependent and we humans are at the centre of their destruction."
- 1 Rave reviews come flying in as glam bar welcomes back first clients after months of lockdown
- 2 Arrest made after car crashes and overturns in Stevenage
- 3 Who are our Stevenage candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 4 CCTV appeal after large amount of criminal damage to secured yard
- 5 PE teachers to run seven marathons in seven days
- 6 Fun fair set for town centre following April 12 reopening
- 7 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 8 COVID-19 cases plummet in Stevenage and North Herts as restrictions ease
- 9 Resident calls for brighter street lights after 'shocking' fall leaves her seeking hospital treatment
- 10 Letchworth teachers begin six-day strike over pension scheme withdrawal