Housing plans for land west of Stevenage back on the agenda
- Credit: Archant
Plans for a new housing development between two districts has “not been ruled out” according to a councillor.
Land west of Stevenage, situated between Todd’s Green and Norton Green – between Stevenage and Wymondley – could see 3,100 homes built, 1,900 in Stevenage and the rest in North Herts.
A planning application was submitted by developer Taylor Wimpey in 2001 to build 3,600 homes on the site.
It was followed by more than a decade of planning arguments between the two neighbouring authorities, Government and courts. The proposal was opposed by North Herts District Council (NHDC), but supported by Stevenage Borough Council. And in August the developer withdrew the application.
Cllr Tom Brindley, NHDC’s portfolio holder for planning, said: “The land has not been ruled out. It is land that has been put forward to be included in the Local Plan.
You may also want to watch:
“We are looking at the suitability of the land and lots more work needs to be done.”
He said NHDC will publish a draft plan that will go to NHDC’s Cabinet to approve before it goes out to public consultation next year.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
District councillor David Leal-Bennett said: “I don’t want to see it on the Local Plan at all. We have fought and campaigned for years to not build on that land. It is a really beautiful piece of Green Belt land.”
Proposals for the development would overlap the parishes of Langley, St Ippolyts and Wymondley and adjoin the parish of Knebworth.
Leader of Stevenage Borough Council, Sharon Taylor, said: “I would welcome the plan. We need more housing in Stevenage.”