Houses to be built on former Letchworth school site
PLANS to build houses on a former primary school site have been approved, it was announced on Thursday.
The build, consisting of 38 new residential houses where Letchworth GC’s Westbury Primary School was situated, will go ahead subject to the completion of a section 106 agreement - ensuring that the development does not have a negative impact on the provision of local services - and aspects of the design being renegotiated to ensure it retains the character of the existing school building.
Hertfordshire County Council’s plans for the West View-based site - which has not been in use since Westbury School closed down in January 2008 - will also see 62 on-site parking spaces and the demolition of the old school entrance building, assembly hall and a detached outbuilding.
Responding to the decision, leader of the council and Letchworth South West ward Cllr Lynda Needham said: “Am I happy the school closed down? Of course not but that’s water under the bridge now and it was being left to look very run down and dilapidated.
“My only real disappointment is we don’t have many community facilities on the Westbury estate so that would’ve pleased local people and pleased me.
You may also want to watch:
“But there’s a good mix with one-bed flats through to four-bed houses - it’s not all one style so there’s plenty of balance.”
*Last Thursday’s planning control committee meeting also saw a plan for 10 mobile homes to be built on the outskirts of Ashwell refused.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 3 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 4 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 5 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 6 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
The proposed site adjacent to Green Lane was considered unsuitable as the plans failed to maintain the existing character of the village and the development would be outside the designated village boundary.