Neighbours raise alarm to Great Ashby house fire as ‘man sleeps inside’
- Credit: Archant
Neighbours sprang into action when they saw a house on fire in the Great Ashby area of Stevenage last week.
Smoke was billowing from a house in Cleveland Way at about 3.30pm on Thursday, with the occupant reportedly asleep inside.
Neighbours called 999 and Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service sent its Blue Watch to tackle the blaze.
A fire service spokesman said the fire had begun in the garden before spreading.
A Facebook post reads: "I live next door and the house is uninhabitable and will take months to sort out.
You may also want to watch:
"He has lost everything - either destroyed by fire or smoke damaged. He is distraught.
"He is lucky to be alive as he was having a sleep after working long hours."
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 3 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 6 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 7 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 8 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 9 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 10 Misogyny as a hate crime 'would get us nowhere'
Neighbours rallied round and a collection of essentials was quickly started.
The man affected said: "Thanks for help offered during my unfortunate incident. What a shock. God is good."