Neighbours raise alarm to Great Ashby house fire as ‘man sleeps inside’

PUBLISHED: 18:58 24 September 2019 | UPDATED: 18:58 24 September 2019

The fire started in the garden before spreading to the house.

The fire started in the garden before spreading to the house.

Archant

Neighbours sprang into action when they saw a house on fire in the Great Ashby area of Stevenage last week.

Smoke was billowing from a house in Cleveland Way at about 3.30pm on Thursday, with the occupant reportedly asleep inside.

Neighbours called 999 and Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service sent its Blue Watch to tackle the blaze.

A fire service spokesman said the fire had begun in the garden before spreading.

You may also want to watch:

A Facebook post reads: "I live next door and the house is uninhabitable and will take months to sort out.

"He has lost everything - either destroyed by fire or smoke damaged. He is distraught.

"He is lucky to be alive as he was having a sleep after working long hours."

Neighbours rallied round and a collection of essentials was quickly started.

The man affected said: "Thanks for help offered during my unfortunate incident. What a shock. God is good."


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Comet. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the The Comet