Home-Start gets a kick start
CHARITY supporters enjoyed a lovely day in the park as they took part in a sponsored walk to raise money. Home-Start Stevenage volunteers and members of their families went along throughout the day to walk the mile-and-a-half course in Fairlands Valley Pa
CHARITY supporters enjoyed a lovely day in the park as they took part in a sponsored walk to raise money.
Home-Start Stevenage volunteers and members of their families went along throughout the day to walk the mile-and-a-half course in Fairlands Valley Park as many times as they could.
Some of the youngest children managed three laps while the more determined completed up to 10.
Manager Lif Bishop said: "We were extremely lucky with the weather as rain had been forecast.
"It was dry all day and not too hot - brilliant weather for walking. Even though the numbers were low on the day, we think we will have raised about £600, which is excellent for our first event of this type. Hopefully next year we can encourage more people to join in and support us!"
The event was part of Home-Start's drive to replace funding from the National Lottery, which accounts for a large chunk of their funding but comes to an end this year.
- 1 Magpas Air Ambulance lands in Letchworth amid 'medical emergency'
- 2 Funeral of retired Stevenage school teacher hailed 'a legend'
- 3 Stevenage PE teacher's charity run after leg amputation
- 4 Old Town Live organisers 'overwhelmed by response'
- 5 Two-storey factory catches fire in Letchworth
- 6 9 things to do on a day trip to Hitchin, Hertfordshire
- 7 Summer Sand pit opens in Stevenage
- 8 'Expect delays' during week-long gas works at Stevenage roundabout
- 9 Man treated for broken jaw following Hitchin assault
- 10 Dog owner's grass seed warning after pet paralysed
Home-Start Stevenage, a charity which supports local families facing difficulties, is also looking for new volunteers to help with fundraising or visiting families at home. If you would like more information, ring 01438 367788.