Letchworth mum’s warning to others after storage heater falls on toddler
- Credit: Archant
A Letchworth mum was left “completely shocked” when a storage heater in her home fell and “could have crushed” her 16-month-old son.
Helen Crook’s toddler Rojan had to have a full body check at Lister Hospital in Stevenage after the storage heater fell on top of him.
This was the second incident Rojan had with the heater at their home in Creamery Court – he was badly burnt in February this year after bumping into it.
The mum-of-three now wants to warn other parents about how dangerous they can be.
She told the Comet: “The storage heater just came off its hinges and fell on top of him. I took him to hospital and they checked him out and give him pain killers.
You may also want to watch:
“He has bruises on his chest and head and has been sick a little bit – it was very lucky my partner was there. He helped me lift the heater off of poor Rojan.
“If I was there on my own without another adult I wouldn’t have been able to lift it by myself, and probably would have dropped it if I tried.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 9 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
“It looks like it was held up by just two bolts, and is really quite heavy.
“The first time when he got burnt in February he was playing with his sisters and stumbled backwards on to it. I called Home Group Housing Association and they told me it was nothing to do with them and that we need have to put the temperature on low.
“It scared me more when the thing fell on him – it could have crushed or killed him.
“What if it happens to somebody else’s child? My eight-year-old daughter was very upset, she just kept saying to him ‘I’m glad you’re alive’.”
Helen and her family are due to move into a house by the end of this month.
She said when she phoned Home Group to tell them about the storage unit coming down, she was told “sorry” and that someone would come to have a look.
Jo Huxtable, head of service delivery at Home Group, said: “Customer safety is a real priority for Home Group.
“We are very sorry that has happened and are in contact with the family in question to offer our sincere apologies.
“The child has recovered from the incident and our health and safety team are investigating.
“Action will be taken based on their findings.”