Developer puts in another application to build 80 homes in Potton

A plan of how the development would look. Picture: Hollins Strategic Land

A plan of how the development would look. Picture: Hollins Strategic Land - Credit: Archant

A developer refused planning permission to build 80 homes in Potton has put in a new planning application on the same land – despite having already appealed the original decision.

The new application for the land west of Potton’s Sutton Road differs only slightly to the original plan, with a revised layout developers Hollins Strategic Land hope will overcome Central Bedfordshire Council planners’ concerns.

Hollins summarises the changes as increased landscaping around the site, a rise in public open space from 15 per cent to 22 per cent of the development, more green links, and “off-site improvements to existing pedestrian infrastructure”.

These steps will not affect the appeal, which will be based on the initial application.

Councillor Adam Zerny, who represents Potton as an independent, was eager to remind residents of the importance of commenting on the new application – citing the fact that objections to the first application will not be transferred to this latest one.


You may also want to watch:


“Despite being turned down once, the developer apparently want to apply again on the same plot of land,” he said.

“I am strongly opposed to this development and encourage residents to put their views in writing to the council.”

Most Read

Central Bedfordshire Council rejected the initial development plan last year on the grounds that it would “cause harm to the character and appearance of the area by extending built environment into the countryside”, and “would appear incongruous and out of character”.

It added: “In addition, the proposal would fail to provide any net gain in terms of green infrastructure or biodiversity, which is expected given the site lies in the Greensand Nature Improvement Area.”

Hollins Strategic Land says in its new planning statement that it already has an agreement in place with the landowner and would be able to start work immediately if it gains the necessary consents.

The public consultation on the new application runs until April 20. To comment email planning@centralbedfordshire.gov.uk and quote planning reference CB/18/01011 in the subject line.

The developer’s appeal against Central Beds Council’s decision to reject the initial planning application – filed in December – is set to be held on July 3.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter