Holiday horror for kidney girl
A 12-YEAR-OLD girl may need a replacement kidney after a bout of severe sickness following a holiday to Turkey last year. Katherine Reilly, from Arlesey, was on holiday in Turkey in June 2006 with her mother Mandy, 42, and her brother Matthew, aged eight,
A 12-YEAR-OLD girl may need a replacement kidney after a bout of severe sickness following a holiday to Turkey last year.
Katherine Reilly, from Arlesey, was on holiday in Turkey in June 2006 with her mother Mandy, 42, and her brother Matthew, aged eight, when all three began to suffer from sickness.
Within four days of returning home, Katherine's symptoms had not improved and she was admitted to the Lister Hospital in Stevenage, where her mother works as a nurse.
Because of the swift deterioration of her health, she was transferred to London's Great Ormond Street Hospital where Katherine and her family were informed that she had developed haemolytic uremic syndrome, leading to renal failure which means that the kidneys were not functioning properly.
You may also want to watch:
The family's worst fears were confirmed when they were told Katherine's condition was so severe she would probably need a kidney transplant in the future.
After such an operation she would also have to be continually monitored and would be placed on medication for the rest of her life, which would help reduce her chances of rejecting a transplanted kidney.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 4 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 8 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 9 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
Katherine's mother Mandy said: "I cannot believe that our dream holiday has resulted in what I can only describe as the worst horror story imaginable.
"No one should have to go through something like this, let alone a child."
The family are now planning to sue the tour operator through travel law specialist solicitors Irwin Mitchell.