Hoax London bomb accused was Stevenage BNP candidate
A Stevenage man accused of storming an office in central London - forcing the closure of one of the capital’s busiest shopping streets was a BNP candidate for the town at the last general election.
Michael Green stood for the far right group in 2010 against borough council leader Sharon Taylor and town MP Stephen McPartland. He secured 1,007 votes.
The 48-year-old was charged with possession of a weapon, making a bomb hoax, false imprisonment and endangering life after police had a three-hour stand off with a man on Tottenham Court Road on Friday in which office equipment from an employment agency was launched from high-rise windows.
Green said on election day: “I strongly support bringing back corporal punishment, getting out of the EU because of the amount of money we are ploughing into it which could be used in this country, and stopping immigration. This country is clearly full up at the moment.”
Asked about extremism in his party, he said: “I think any party has extreme members in it - but that is not the majority. Most of the people who belong to the BNP are people like myself - people who have had enough of the three main parties. The main parties are not addressing immigration and people in the country are fed up of it.”
You may also want to watch:
He will appear at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court today.
- 1 Hitchin teenager convicted of raping three young people
- 2 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 3 Topping out ceremony marks significant progress to new bus interchange
- 4 Rapist faces 'considerable custodial sentence' after guilty verdict
- 5 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 6 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 9 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 10 Praise for hat-trick hero Codi Lee-Spavins from delighted Stotfold boss