Hitchin woman calls on volunteers to help transform overgrown plot into vibrant and lively garden project
- Credit: Archant
Volunteers are being called upon to help transform a weed-ridden former vegetable patch in St Paul’s Walden into a vibrant, lively and interactive outdoor space.
The Within The Walls Garden Project began in April this year when Caroline Langley, leader of the Herts-based outdoor learning initiative Down the Woods forest school, seized the opportunity for a new venture with Lea Ellis, from Hitchin, at its helm.
Former youth worker Lea said: “Our vision is to transform the plot into a social and educational space for young and old alike.”
The walled garden, which covers an acre and makes up part of the Bowes-Lyon estate near Whitwell, has been leased to the project by owners Frances Harris and Fergus Lyon.
“We intend to grow vegetables, wild flowers and herbs, have a wildlife pond and grassed areas for workshops, play, story-telling and craft skills,” said Lea.
You may also want to watch:
“We hope to offer sessions to suit everyone and hope that by bringing people together from different backgrounds, cultures and age groups we can share ideas and skills, and together create some new memories.”
“At the moment we have a large area of weeds that we need to clear, but we are very optimistic – you could get overwhelmed by it but our vision is so inspiring we really believe in what we have and what the land could be. It’s perfectly achievable with time and perseverance.”
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 5 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 10 Halloween trail set for Letchworth this half term
Lea is looking for enthusiastic volunteers with jobs ranging from watering, weeding and planting, to building compost heaps and building and painting sheds, and she said they could also do with a volunteer who has a tractor and plough.
Lea, who is also hoping to apply for funding, is urging people who think they could spare some time to go along, have a cup of tea and a chat, and see what they think.
For more information contact Lea on 07949 668518, email her via email@example.com or search ‘Within the Walls Garden Project’ on Facebook.