Hitchin woman bravely fights off mugger in late night drama
- Credit: Archant
A woman bravely fought off a mugger in Hitchin last night after a man approached her from behind and attempted to grab her handbag.
The victim in her 40s – who was walking along Bancroft near to Nightingale Road around 10pm – held onto the bag, falling to the ground during the struggle.
The failed thief then let go of the bag and ran off down an alleyway.
A passer-by who saw the aftermath of the incident said: “She looked a bit shaken, but good for her. Hopefully the police will catch the cowardly lowlife who did this.”
The suspect is described as a white man of skinny build, aged between 35 and 40, around six foot tall, with short black hair and glasses.
You may also want to watch:
He was wearing a beige jacket.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police quoting crime reference G1/16/1215.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 6 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 7 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 8 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust