Hitchin town twinners mark 60 years paired with Bingen am Rhein in Germany
- Credit: Archant
Hitchin’s town twinners have marked 60 years of partnership with Bingen am Rhein in Germany.
Hitchin Town Twinning Association patron Richard Cox was made an honorary citizen of Bingen, and all the Hitchin twinners received 60th-anniversary medallions.
The event in the German town also boasted attendees from Nuits-St-Georges in France – with which both Bingen and Hitchin are twinned – as well as Bingen’s Kosovan and Turkish twin towns, Prizren and Anamur.
Hitchin Town Twinning chairman Tochi Bhatt said: “It was wonderful to see so many nationalities mixing, although not everybody could speak each other’s language and lot of the conversation was with sign language. To me this is a demonstration of how people of different nationalities can become friends and appreciate different cultures.”
Hitchin band Jazzface proved popular during the weekend-long celebration.
You may also want to watch:
It was also the 10th anniversary of Bingen’s flower gardens next to the Rhine. Richard and his wife Andrea part-sponsored and designed the English Rose Garden there.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'