Hitchin Town Hall multi-million pound project go-ahead
LAST night (Monday) marked “history in the making” as, after seven years of planning, councillors agreed to proceed with a multi-million pound community project.
At a special council meeting, a raft of recommendations were agreed in relation to Hitchin Town Hall. The facility will be revamped for community use, with a district museum added.
After agreeing to enter into legal agreements and loaning Hitchin Town Hall Ltd money, it means work can start to appoint a building contractor.
Councillors and residents praised the scheme, and a celebration party was held afterwards in the council offices.
The estimated completion date now is November 2014.
You may also want to watch:
For more on this story, including reaction from and after the meeting, see Thursday’s Comet.
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 4 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 7 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 8 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 9 Do you recognise these people?
- 10 Drugs, weapons and cash recovered as man arrested in Beds village