Hitchin Town FC launch ‘Pay What You Want’ game to raise money for Top Field floodlights
- Credit: Archant
Hitchin Town FC have launched a revolutionary new scheme designed to raise funds for a new set of floodlights at Top Field.
The idea involves supporters at the turnstiles handing over whatever money they see fit for the Canaries match against Frome Town FC on Saturday, January 16 – meaning any new fans will have the chance to watch their team without having to pay the full £10 adult price, or full £6 concession price.
The club says there are two reasons for making this gesture – firstly, they want to encourage more people to see the football Hitchin are producing as they work their way up the Southern Premier table – which currently sees them in a coveted play-off spot.
And secondly, Hitchin are also launching their new Floodlight Fund.
A spokesman said: “Our floodlight contractors have now told us the current floodlights must be replaced as they can no longer maintain them.
You may also want to watch:
“They are over 50 years old and have reached the end of their lifespan and we really need to replace them in the close season.
“We have had a quote of nearly £60,000 for replacement floodlights but should qualify for a £30,000 grant from the Football Stadium Improvement Fund, meaning the club have to raise £30,000 ourselves.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 8 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 9 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 10 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
“We still have the money raised from the Save Top Field campaign which we would like to put in to the Floodlight Fund. Then we need supporters’ help to enable us to reach our target.
“New floodlights would be the first significant improvement at Top Field for many years and it should be pointed out that the new floodlights could be moved to a new stadium if necessary.
“As has been previously been stated the management committee would in an ideal world prefer the club to remain at Top Field but the Priory School option has to be evaluated as we need to achieve the best possible stadium.
“At the moment that evaluation is still taking place and as soon as there is any significant news we will be totally transparent and let the public know.
“No decision will be made without the majority agreement of our supporters as we have said all along.
“We just want to provide a lasting legacy for Hitchin Town Football Club’s current and future supporters.
“The support of our Floodlight Fund will help move Top Field in to the current century – and if the outcome of our deliberations is to stay at Top Field it will just be the first of many improvements and stadium developments.”
The visitors on the day of the scheme, Frome Town FC, have also shown their support by tweeting the Canaries idea to their supporters @frometownfc.