Hitchin town centre survey results published
- Credit: Archant
RESULTS of an independent town centre survey, which attracted more than 600 responses, have been published.
Hitchin resident Anthony Hewson decided to survey people in the town, asking what they liked, what improvements should be made and which areas they visited.
Mr Hewson, who works as a copywriter, did not get paid or commissioned to carry out the questionnaire.
He said: “I’d been considering a survey for about a year, and the combination of the anti-Churchgate petition’s popularity and enough time during a working week to put the questions together was inspiration enough.
“This survey is entirely independent of input or influence from any organisation. I hope that means that its results can be used for public debate and by any interested party.”
You may also want to watch:
The survey, which attracted 622 responses, found 86.5% of people think more should be done to raise awareness of shops in certain areas.
It also found more than 90% of people either did not want a supermarket in town, or in the Hitchin area.
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 3 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 4 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 7 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 8 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 9 Do you recognise these people?
- 10 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?
Halsey’s deli and tearooms was voted the favourite shop, attracting 162 votes. Wilkinson and Waterstones were the favourite chains.
The results come just before publication of a Hitchin BID survey.
Town centre manager Keith Hoskins said: “I think (Mr Hewson’s) survey adds to that knowledge base, and I’m grateful to Anthony for doing it.
“We’ll take on the chin some of the things he said. I wish, of course, I had a great financial resource to implement more of the things, but I think we are, as a town, moving in the right direction.”
To view the full survey, visit http://hitchinsfuture.files.wordpress.com/