Hitchin to come alive with more than 100 events planned for town’s festival
- Credit: Archant
A town will come alive as a festival kicks off on Monday for the next five weeks.
A town will come alive as a festival kicks off on Monday and runs for the next five weeks.
Hitchin Festival will celebrate the artistic, cultural and community life of the town with more than 100 different events taking place through to July 27.
Amongst the extensive programme is two historic walks around the town on June 29 and July 27 with historian Terry Knight, who will be revealing stories behind Hitchin’s buildings, streets and famous characters. Derek Wheeler will then be hosting his own ‘ghost walk’ version on July 2, 9, and 24 between 7-9pm.
There’s also plenty on the menu with a South African food night taking place at Halseys Deli at 7.30pm on July 2, and a modern British tapas evening at The Victoria pub on July 2 and 3.
You may also want to watch:
A local produce and crafts market is also being held in Churchyard on June 28 and July 26 from 8.30am, while Priory Picnic on July 6 will give visitors to Hitchin Priory the chance to eat while watching entertainment from the North Herts Music School.
Other highlights include Move Hitchin! – a trail of free dance performances which starts in Market Place at 11am on July 6 – and tours of Hitchin Lavender which run from July 1.
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 7 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 8 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 9 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?
- 10 Do you recognise these people?
Speaking ahead of the festival launch, Hitchin town centre manager Keith Hoskins said: “We are really pleased with the initial response so far, the box office has opened and some of the events have already sold out so we have had to put more on. The food and drink events have proved very popular already.”
For more information, full listings and ticket prices visit www.hitchin-festival.co.uk and to book call the festival box office at Hitchin Initiative on 01462 453335.