Hitchin teen photographer Elliot has his work snapped up by stateside fashion mag
- Credit: Archant
A young Hitchin photographer has had his work used by an American magazine – after the power of social media helped his cause.
Budding snapper Elliot Simpson-Rooke saw his images of New York City, taken on a trip to the Big Apple with his parents in October last year, published by American fashion and lifestyle publication CVISUM.
The 16-year-old, who lives in West Hill, originally posted his shots of the iconic city on social media picture sharing platform Instagram – but they were soon picked up the US mag and have now been used in their print magazine.
Elliot – who is due to sit his GCSEs, including photography, at Hitchin Boys’ School in the summer – said: “I’m delighted they picked up my stuff from Instagram. It’s a big honour, and I’m very pleased – it just shows the power of social media.”
Elliot’s life changed after he went on holiday to Asia a couple of years ago and took a camera.
“I took some shots of street life and architecture in Hong Kong and my passion just went from there,” he said.
In a twist of fate Elliot wasn’t even sure he would take up photography when it came to choosing exam subjects at his school two years ago.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 5 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 6 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 7 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 8 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 9 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 10 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
He explained: “I was supposed to do an art GCSE – but I showed the pictures I’d taken in Hong Kong to my photography teacher who told me I should take photography instead – which I did!”
Elliot now plans to take the subject at A-level before hopefully launching his career as a freelance photographer.
But not before planning on spending time travelling around Europe after his exams, soaking up the experience – and taking as many pictures as he can when he’s away.
He added: “I’m looking forward to travelling around Europe. I’m particularly interested in taking shots of the Alps.
“My ambition is to travel across America on a road trip – and I’d like to visit big US cities, as well as taking in Route 66.
“I’d like to thank my parents who have been very supportive.
“My friends think it’s pretty cool that my work has been used in an American magazine.
“I’d also like to take pictures of singer – and former Hitchin Boys’ pupil James Bay.”
For more on his pictures visit @CvisumMag on instagram.