Hitchin teachers set cycling world record in pupil’s memory
TWO teachers from a Hitchin school have returned to England with a world record under their belts after completing a charity cycle ride in memory of a former student who died from leukaemia.
Matthew Good and Chris Pope, teachers at Priory School, cycled nine countries in one week with friends Darren Daley and Szilvia Zsigmond.
Their aim was to raise money for CHILDREN with LEUKAEMIA, in memory of former pupil Tasnim Kalam.
The quartet, who far surpassed their target of cycling the 584 mile course in nine days, also smashed the previous record of cycling seven countries in as many days.
They are currently awaiting formal confirmation from Guinness World Records after sending off evidence of their feat. It went really well, a lot better than we thought it would actually,” Mr Good told The Comet.
“We were cycling 85 to 90 miles a day, more than we thought we would be. We got to the eighth country after six days.
“We didn’t get one puncture at all throughout the whole journey and the weather was good apart from on one morning. It all went very smoothly.”
- 1 Apply for free tickets to see new season of The Masked Singer being filmed in Hertfordshire
- 2 Two men from North Herts wanted by police for failing to attend court
- 3 Family's car window smashed in overnight criminal damage
- 4 Tesco and Aldi among supermarkets issuing 'do not eat' warnings
- 5 Rising costs see refill store in Letchworth close for good
- 6 Baldock Charter Fair returns this week!
- 7 Missing 16-year-old from Letchworth found 'safe and well'
- 8 Starry-eyed Letchworth students meet Britain’s first astronaut
- 9 Celebrating 50 years of Stevenage's Fairlands Valley Park
- 10 Man dies following medical episode at Stevenage Cineworld
The group began the gruelling route in Italy, and finished in The Netherlands.
Their journey took them through Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Austria, Germany, Switzerland and Liechtenstein.
Over �3,000 has been raised so far by the group. To donate, visit http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/9countries9days