Hitchin teachers set cycling world record in pupil’s memory
TWO teachers from a Hitchin school have returned to England with a world record under their belts after completing a charity cycle ride in memory of a former student who died from leukaemia.
Matthew Good and Chris Pope, teachers at Priory School, cycled nine countries in one week with friends Darren Daley and Szilvia Zsigmond.
Their aim was to raise money for CHILDREN with LEUKAEMIA, in memory of former pupil Tasnim Kalam.
The quartet, who far surpassed their target of cycling the 584 mile course in nine days, also smashed the previous record of cycling seven countries in as many days.
They are currently awaiting formal confirmation from Guinness World Records after sending off evidence of their feat. It went really well, a lot better than we thought it would actually,” Mr Good told The Comet.
You may also want to watch:
“We were cycling 85 to 90 miles a day, more than we thought we would be. We got to the eighth country after six days.
“We didn’t get one puncture at all throughout the whole journey and the weather was good apart from on one morning. It all went very smoothly.”
- 1 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 2 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says council
- 3 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 4 Still no justice for paramedic killed in 2018 crash
- 5 Community fieldwalking to uncover Hitchin's Roman ruins hailed 'huge success'
- 6 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 7 Woman taken to hospital after medical incident in town centre
- 8 Two schools' birthday celebrations can finally go ahead
- 9 Revealed: Stevenage pantomime cast members announced for Aladdin at the Gordon Craig Theatre
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
The group began the gruelling route in Italy, and finished in The Netherlands.
Their journey took them through Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Austria, Germany, Switzerland and Liechtenstein.
Over �3,000 has been raised so far by the group. To donate, visit http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/9countries9days