Hitchin teacher is honoured by Manchester City legend Mike Summerbee
HITCHIN schoolteacher Steve Mills stepped on to his field of dream yesterday when he was a guest of honour at Manchester City before their 5-1 eclipse of Birmingham City. Mr Mills, a Year 6 teacher and deputy head at William Ransom School, enjoyed being a
HITCHIN schoolteacher Steve Mills stepped on to his field of dream yesterday when he was a guest of honour at Manchester City before their 5-1 eclipse of Birmingham City.
Mr Mills, a Year 6 teacher and deputy head at William Ransom School, enjoyed being a VIP at the City of Manchester Stadium after the club was told by pupil Ben Hankin, 11, how the classroom had a Manchester City name plate on the wall and how he had supported the club since being a young boy in his native Stockport.
Mr Mills was named Teacher of the Year in a Primary School 2009 and re-received his award from City great Mike Summerbee along with a shirt with Mr Mills-Teacher of the Year printed on the back.
Steve, 40, a lifelong City fan, watched the game from his season ticket seat with his parents Alan and Pauline, and said afterwards: "It was a fantastic day. Another dream has come true.
"I was taken down to the inner working of the ground via a VVIP lift, I'm serious, they have a lift for very, very important people. I just took in the whole atmosphere, watched the manager being interviewed by Sky Sports and saw how big the pitch is. Another veteran player called Paul Lake came over for a chat too.
"Mike Summerbee then re-presented me with my Teaching Awards trophy, the Gold Plato, and me a Manchester City shirt. That was a nice touch.
- 1 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 2 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 3 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 4 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 5 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 6 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 7 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 8 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 9 Stevenage woman, 52, accused of wounding 91-year-old in her own home
- 10 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
"My name also appeared on the giant scoreboards at half-time saying welcome. It was an unforgettable experience.
"Thanks to Ben another dream has come true."
This weekend the tale of Mr Mills and Ben will be highlighted in the Manchester City programme for their home clash with arch rival Manchester United while this afternoon they were being interviewed on Radio 5 Live.