Hitchin Swimming Club makes a splash with £1,400 hospice fundraising
- Credit: Archant
Members, families and friends of Hitchin Swimming Club have collectively raised more than £1,000 for a Letchworth-based hospice over the last year.
Through raffles, galas, cake sales and sponsored swims, fundraisers from Hitchin Swimming Club have managed to gather £1,400 in sponsorships and donations for Garden House Hospice Care in Letchworth.
Club captains Alex Cairncross, Zoe MacDonald and Daniel English presented the final cheque of £1403.26 to Richard Harbon - the hospice's challenge and events manager.
Alongside teaching the importance of safe and enjoyable swimming, Hitchin Swimming Club also believe in showing their swimmers the importance of working with the wider community.
Sarah Larkham, outreach co-ordinator at the club, said: "We absolutely see the enrichment opportunity in our swimmers that being part of a local community and supporting local causes offers.
You may also want to watch:
"Garden House Hospice Care was particularly close to many of our members' hearts, and we are so pleased that we could offer this money to them."
This year, members of Hitchin Swimming Club voted for another Herts-based organisation to be their charity of the year, Hector's House.
- 1 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 2 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 3 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 4 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 5 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 6 Stevenage schoolboy wins national chef award
- 7 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 8 Help transform overgrown land into outdoor classroom
- 9 Special needs school's urgent appeal for swim helpers
- 10 Stevenage Borough Juniors crowned national champions after tense victory