Hitchin to celebrate 80 years of its outdoor swimming pool tomorrow
- Credit: Archant
Hitchin’s outdoor swimming pool is to mark 80 years tomorrow with a day of fun for young and old.
The pool had two official openings in 1938 – the first on April 30 that year, and the second on July 2 with the Lord-Lieutenant of Hertfordshire.
North Hertfordshire District Council and swimming centre operators Stevenage Leisure Ltd will celebrate tomorrow with baby fun, a pirate-themed show and more.
Councillor David Barnard, who is responsible for leisure at the district council, said: “Hitchin Swimming Centre has had 80 tremendous years. It’s at the heart of the community – and what better way to celebrate that than with some free, fun activities for everyone to enjoy?”
Stevenage Leisure managing director Ian Morton added: “We look forward to seeing you all on Saturday. The weather is set to be fair, and you can see for yourself why the pool is still so popular – even after 80 years.”
You may also want to watch:
Children with paying adults get in all day free of charge tomorrow.
There will be baby fun in the indoor pool from 10am to 12 noon, with an eliminator event following from 1pm to 4pm.
- 1 How many people in Stevenage were fined for breaking COVID-19 laws?
- 2 SG1 regeneration officially under way as holding direction is lifted
- 3 Hitchin schoolboy Alex Kirk signs professional deal with Arsenal
- 4 The Market Theatre could be axed as plan for flats is drawn up
- 5 Confirmation that Stevenage Five Guys restaurant is coming soon
- 6 Do you have memories of Stevenage's Bowes Lyon skate park for history book?
- 7 Long-term flooding fix earmarked for major Stevenage road
- 8 Warning as more residents targeted by scam police calls
- 9 The hospice nurses administering COVID-19 vaccine in nearby care home
- 10 TV, motocross and quad bikes stolen in Stevenage burglary
In the outdoor pool, there will be a fun session from 11am to 1pm, and then Imajica Theatre’s Raggle Taggle Pirates show.
Those celebrating the 80-year landmark with fond memories include Hitchin Bearton Labour councillor Judi Billing. She spent countless hours at the pool as a young mum with her then-baby daughter Zoë, who is now the best-selling author Zoë Folbigg.
Judi told the Comet: I think it’s absolutely marvellous that Hitchin outdoor pool is celebrating 80 years of bringing such joy to Hitchin families on those precious sunny summer days. It was there long before the indoor pool was even dreamt of.
“We’ve had lots of sunshine this summer so far. My happiest memories at the pool were in 1976, another epic summer, when I spent most of my time there with my new baby Zoë. How marvellous that she is still able to go there with her own small sons!
“So, while I can’t claim to remember the pool for all of its 80 years, I’ve been going for well over half that time!”
The indoor pool next to the 1938 open-air lido was opened in 1991.
To find out more, look up Hitchin Swimming Centre on Facebook.