Hitchin support group celebrates first anniversary
- Credit: Archant
A SUPPORT group which was set up with help from the Comet has celebrated its first anniversary as it goes from strength to strength.
The Lifegeta Emotional Support Group marked its birthday last week, a year after those with an acquired disability met for the first time.
Sue Ross appealed through the Comet to find a free venue to launch the monthly group, prompting The Canary Club in Hitchin to come forward.
Last Wednesday’s anniversary meeting saw the 46-year-old Hitchin resident, who had two strokes at the age of 26, joined by Stevenage singer/song writer Roxy Searle, who sang a song dedicated to her dad Paul who attends the group.
“My original hopes for the group were for there to be a monthly meeting that’s not only social but where people can share experiences with others that may have been through similar situations,” said Sue, of John Barker Place.
“It has achieved that and so much more, with social events and two brilliant fun nights to raise funds for the group. I will now be making Lifegeta a voluntary organisation so we can go on to do more development projects.
“The group has gone from strength to strength. Lifegeta isn’t just about disability, it’s an empowering night in the company of inspiring people, who despite the odds are getting on with it. It’s a support network for those with all types of acquired conditions – like a stroke, multiple sclerosis or Parkinson’s – as well as friends, family and carers.”
- 1 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 2 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 3 Missing Letchworth woman found safe and well
- 4 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 5 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 6 All under 40s to be offered Covid booster jab
- 7 New manager Paul Tisdale optimistic about his journey of discovery at Stevenage
- 8 Stevenage squad to get their chance despite transfer promise says new boss Paul Tisdale
- 9 Former councillor recognised for 36 years of service
- 10 Stevenage appoint former MK Dons boss Paul Tisdale as their new manager
The Lifegeta Emotional Support Group meets on the first Wednesday of every month at The Canary Club in Fishponds Road, Hitchin.
For more information call Sue on 07715 707488, email email@example.com or visit www.lifegeta.co.uk