Hitchin support group celebrates first anniversary
- Credit: Archant
A SUPPORT group which was set up with help from the Comet has celebrated its first anniversary as it goes from strength to strength.
The Lifegeta Emotional Support Group marked its birthday last week, a year after those with an acquired disability met for the first time.
Sue Ross appealed through the Comet to find a free venue to launch the monthly group, prompting The Canary Club in Hitchin to come forward.
Last Wednesday’s anniversary meeting saw the 46-year-old Hitchin resident, who had two strokes at the age of 26, joined by Stevenage singer/song writer Roxy Searle, who sang a song dedicated to her dad Paul who attends the group.
“My original hopes for the group were for there to be a monthly meeting that’s not only social but where people can share experiences with others that may have been through similar situations,” said Sue, of John Barker Place.
You may also want to watch:
“It has achieved that and so much more, with social events and two brilliant fun nights to raise funds for the group. I will now be making Lifegeta a voluntary organisation so we can go on to do more development projects.
“The group has gone from strength to strength. Lifegeta isn’t just about disability, it’s an empowering night in the company of inspiring people, who despite the odds are getting on with it. It’s a support network for those with all types of acquired conditions – like a stroke, multiple sclerosis or Parkinson’s – as well as friends, family and carers.”
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 3 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 4 Tottenham test for Stevenage after draw for Papa John's Trophy
- 5 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 6 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 7 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 8 Stevenage get big derby clash in first round of Carabao Cup
- 9 Poppy Fletcher makes history by signing for Stevenage women
- 10 National charity challenge for Samaritans makes its way through Hitchin
The Lifegeta Emotional Support Group meets on the first Wednesday of every month at The Canary Club in Fishponds Road, Hitchin.
For more information call Sue on 07715 707488, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.lifegeta.co.uk